Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Détournement

I took a bus up to Boston this weekend, and in the seat behind me was a teenage girl having a loud and annoying conversation on her cell phone. I gave her a sour glance but she didn't seem to notice. I thought it would be funny if I had a microphone to hold up to her, so she would understand what it's like to be trapped in someone else's absurd notion of time well spent. Then I remembered that I did have my camera, so I took the following picture of her by holding it up over my head and shooting blindly behind me. The social ethics here are fuzzy -- I won't pretend to go into it, except to say that I felt guilty about being such a dick and I'm not sure I would have done the same thing if she had been a 200 lb. dude. Her expression (she's on the right): someone waking in a dark room to the buzz of a mosquito:


No comments: